So you have decided to finally invest in new cabinet furniture for a more refined, sophisticated and chic look for your home. But how do you choose the right entertainment unit? Is there more to consider than the size of your TV and your wall? Yes, there is!
Fact is; cabinet designs come in such a large variety that it is normal to feel confused about where and how to start. You already know that most entertainment units need to be functional; after all, you will be using it to house your LED TV, along with decorative items collected on your world travels, put away books, folders and files, family pictures and a lot more. But that doesn’t mean that the new cabinet furniture you pick cannot add a touch of style to your home. In all earnest, the display style you choose for your entertainment unit is a direct reflection of your own personal style; so choose something that is a perfect match to the space available, the style of your decor as well as your functional requirements.
Here are 5 simple tips to blend together functionality and aesthetic appeal.
1. Always have a colour scheme in mind – Start by checking the existing colour palette in the room. Take a look at all furniture – wooden dining chairs, the coffee table, the dining table and even that old single sofa chair strategically placed in front of the TV. Now pick the accent colours you like best and try to include them in to your entertainment unit. You can choose colours from the same family by picking varying shades for the cabinet; or you can make a bold statement by picking a mix and match of different and contrasting colours for a more dynamic feel to the room.
A good tip: If the room is small, try and choose light reflecting high gloss cabinets in a neutral colour like white, beige or light grey. It is also a good idea to match the cabinet colours to the colour of the wall to create a unified visual look, where the cabinet furniture recedes in to the wall and makes the room look more spacious.
2. Experiment with finishes – Don’t be stuck with the same finishes. If your furniture is all wood, that doesn’t mean you also need to pick a wooden entertainment unit. Don’t be afraid to look at lacquered finishes, metal racks, cabinets with glass doors and even open rack cabinets. However, if your furniture and upholstery is minimalistic, adding wooden tones will add warmth and character to the room. The mix and match of varying textures is what adds personality to the space as a whole.
3. Don’t forget shapes and angles – If you want to create a real style statement with cabinet furniture, choose varying colours, sizes, shapes and designs. Don’t be afraid to pair two colours – this adds a whole new dimension to the entertainment unit and creates a focal point for the room.
4. Bring in personality – You must try and bring in a personal touch by picking cabinet furniture that represents your own personal style. If you have a colourful personality that thrives on bright reds, pinks and maroons, don’t be afraid to choose a few shelves that become a part of the whole entertainment unit and are displayed with a myriad of books and decorative items to become focal pieces in themselves. However, be careful – too much colour can make a room’s decor look rather confusing. So stick to a few colours and use them sporadically around a room.
5. Tie all pieces together in harmony – To tie all colours and textures together in harmony, you need to ensure that all furniture pieces in the room are blended well together. If you want to make the new entertainment unit you picked the focal point of the room, bring in the same colours in to the room by picking cushions or a rug in similar shades or texture.
So there you are; 5 tips that can help you choose the right shape, size, finish and style for your entertainment unit. Happy shopping!
- Inspirational Contemporary Furniture of the 21st Century (epicahome.com)