Are you sick of trying every diet possible to lose weight and finally considering a weight loss shake diet? Before you buy yourself a huge supply of shake mixes for the month, we urge you to go through this article. While it is very easy to fall for the trap laid by attractive weight loss shakes commercials that lure obese people or those obsessed with weight loss with promises of Instant Weight Loss, it is worth spending a few minutes going over the plan carefully. After all, ‘Instant Weight Loss’ rarely means ‘Permanent Weight Loss’, right?
Weight loss shakes are no doubt healthy and tasty, but being on a diet that solely comprises of shakes can be more harmful than beneficial. However, one cannot negate the fact that there are several good reasons why weight loss shakes are popular amongst dieters.
Weight Loss Shakes: The Good and Bad
Here is a look at few reasons why weight loss shakes are gaining popularity:
1. Simple and healthy – Weight loss shakes can be made at home and with any ingredients you prefer. If you use fruits and vegetables, you can easily get the nutrition of wholesome vitamins and minerals bundled in to a glass within no time.
2. Easily available ingredients – Some people don’t like the taste of packaged weight loss shake powders. And so homemade weight loss shakes are the perfect alternative, allowing them to fix a shake that includes their favourite flavours. Some of the common ingredients that you can add to these weight loss shakes are:
- Fruits – help you get rid of toxins from the body.
- Yogurt or low-fat milk – for your dose of vitamin D and calcium.
- Protein powder – helps build lean muscle mass and keeps digestion going smooth
Blending the perfect weight loss shake or smoothie at home is really simple. You can find various delicious recipes on any weight loss forums that will allow you to make your own glassful of health at home!
But wait, we aren’t done yet! While these shakes are great as a compliment to your diet and exercise routine, relying solely on a weight loss shake diet to lose weight is foolhardy. It’s no better than a crash diet! Weight loss shakes cannot replace a balanced diet. Remember, even if you lose a few kilos by going on such a diet today, the weight will eventually come back once you return to your regular eating habits. So if long term weight loss is your plan, we suggest that you drink weight loss shakes as one of your smaller meals, and not rely solely on them to help you achieve your goal weight.
What makes Weight Loss shakes a good idea?
Weight loss shakes help in supplying the right nutrients to the body. They cleanse the intestines and help in fighting fatigue. Usually, when trying to lose weight, people break down their 3 bigger meals in to 6 smaller meals. Not only does this keep the metabolism revved up, it also offers them small boosts of energy throughout the day with each meal. Supplementing one or two of these smaller meals with a weight loss shake is a great way to keep calories in check, while ensuring your body gets the right proportion of nutrients it needs.
How to make Weight Loss shakes at home?
For quick and easy homemade weight loss shakes, all it takes is a little creativity! You can use raw veggies and fruits; blend them together with ice cubes and whey protein powder. You can add low fat yogurt to make your shakes interesting and choose from seasonal fruits to add fresh bursts of flavour.
The USP of homemade weight loss shakes is that they can be customized. You can create your own smoothie with fruits like blueberry, watermelon, mango or even coconut. Add peanut butter or crack down a nutritional bar for some interesting texture and drink up!
Alternately, you can also buy packaged weight loss shakes that already have the recommended dosage of nutrients. These are available in a variety of flavours like chocolate, strawberry, green berry and butterscotch. All you need to do is add water or milk (as per preference) and make a chilled glass of shake to take the edge off your craving any time of the day!
A simple weight loss shake recipe:
To help you get started, here is a simple weight loss shake recipe
- ½ cup skim milk or ½ cup plain, fat-free yogurt
- 1 scoop of low-calorie protein powder (optional)
- ½ banana
- 1-cup fresh or frozen berries
Blend the ingredients and add crushed ice for a smooth consistency.
The Bottom Line:
If you are tired of trying out the umpteen numbers of ways to get rid of excessive fat, it’s worth giving weight loss shakes a shot to reduce your calorie intake. Relying on simple to make weight loss shakes as a meal replacement for your pre-workout and post-workout nutrition is a great idea.
There is no doubt that weight loss shakes are healthy; they are full of enriched minerals and proteins that are essential for a balanced diet. But keep in mind that they are mere complements to a regular exercise and diet regime. When used alone, weight loss shakes cannot guarantee permanent weight loss.
- Weight Loss Breakfast Shake Recipes (cecepali.wordpress.com)
- Weight Loss Shakes Protein – The 21 Day Sugar Detox (ozmnyhed.wordpress.com)