Looking for a book rack that will not only be a perfect fit for an odd corner, but will add the WOW factor to your décor? A book rack can be a lot more than just a cabinet to store books; it can be the perfect expression of your artistic personality, it can be the grounding force that cohesively ties together all the colours in a room, and it can also be a functional unit that serves many functions like a bookrack that doubles up as a space divider or acts like a focal point.
Today you will find a wide variety in modern book rack designs to choose from. From simple rectangular book racks in polished wood that feature a simple all glass wooden door so that your books and china stays dust free, to modern designs of asymmetrical book racks that feature a melange of open shelves, covered niches and some sans the side walls for an organic look also, your choices are many. But to buy a modern book rack that offers you value for money not only because it fits all your books perfectly but also because it best accentuates the decor theme of your home can take some serious thought.
Tips to Pick the Right Design:
First thing to figure out is the size of book rack you require. Will you be storing paperbacks or some genuine antique editions of famous classics that are bound in hard cover as well? Will you also want to keep your lose files and office paperwork in the same book rack and also like to have some space for extra stationary? Fact is; to give your modern book rack a great look there are a number of approaches you can use.
#1 – Use a simple wooden modern book rack and then bring in colour using paperbacks in different colours. Group your books as per colour and then allocate each smaller shelf to one colour, to create an interesting look that looks kind of like colour blocking.
#2 – Look for a unique design in a wooden book rack. One with adjustable shelves and few covered shelves that have wood or glass shutters create an element of interest. The completely wooden shutters can be used to store your clutter that you don’t want on display – lose sheets of paper, keys, medicines etc. The open shelves can be adjusted to accommodate books by size, colour, author or whatever organizing criteria you have and the shelves with glass shutters can be used for some dainty decorative pieces or pretty floral design chinaware to create a melange of textures, colours and shapes for an interesting look.
#3 – Think of a customized wooden book rack. A modern book rack that uses diagonal shelving can be perfect for books, though this will not accommodate decorative pieces and other items. Such a book rack will be perfect on a bare wall, where you cannot seem to fit any paintings etc to give it definition. Look for one that matches either to the wooden finishes in the room, or one that matches the wall colour for some highlighting.
Organizing and Arranging your Book Rack for the Maximum Aesthetical Impact:
The right book rack serves a dual function – it stores books and accessories in an organized way and it also adds to the decor of your home, giving you the freedom to experiment with shapes, sizes and designs to create a visually pleasing look. The visual impact created by a simple wall hung metal book rack that stores paperbacks, a large wooden book rack with glass shutters that holds some thick books and decorative pieces, and a simplistic design in diagonal shelves in 2 rows that store colourful array of books will all the different.
So you see, the visual impact any modern book rack will have will be dependent on not only the designs, but also on how you choose to decorate and organize the book rack.
Here are some simple ideas that can result in fabulous visual impact, without trying too hard to organize and arrange your book rack but simply by following a theme.
1. Sometimes, simple is best. In a room where there are too many dominating colours, a simple design in modern book rack that lines books covered in all white paper, arranged as per height is perfect to tone down the volume of the room. Resist the urge to cover all visible surface area with books and decorative pieces; leave some sections blank to balance the effect by creating an interesting arrangement of clutters and blank spaces. For a clean look, choose a one colour tone where even the decorative pieces you choose will be all white or for a contrast, all black or all glass or crystal. Play around with the arrangement – smaller figurines flanking a line of horizontal books, large vases accentuated on a shelf with vertical stack of books or some pieces placed off centre with a combination of small and large items.
2. Play with colour. You can allocate one shelf to one colour and while you use books to bring in colour, you can also use candles, photo frames, decorative pieces and even odd ball objects like a table clock or a bright coloured orb or potpourri bowl. So if the modern book rack has 5 shelves, use 5 different colours to decorate each shelf. Also you can use small and large decorative pieces in a cluster, as long as the colour remains the same.
3. Lack of space for book racks? Use built in shelves to line a doorway and then to create an element of interest, alternate two rows of books with one row of decorative items. It can be candles, candle stands, vases, home decor items and even crockery.
4. Use your smart wooden book rack to showcase your personality. Use decorative items that use different textures, colours and raw materials to blend together in a balanced look by understanding that too much is never good. Pieces that have interesting stories attached to them and hold sentimental values for you will be best to become conversational starters.
5. When you have a symmetrical modern book rack, use the rule of thirds for the perfect organization. One third of the book rack should be covered with horizontally placed books, one third with vertical stacked books and one third for decorative pieces.
With the right design in bookshelves coupled with some unique arranging tactics, you can really uplift the look and feel of an entire room with just this simple piece of furniture. As always, remember that when choosing shape, scale and finishes, let the existing décor and furniture of the space guide you in the right direction, to achieve a look that is perfectly harmonious and in sync with your home’s décor personality.
- 6 Effective Ways to Revamp your Living Room Decor (woodenitbeamazing.com)
- The cluster effect: How to make it work in your home (bellacor.com)
- Creative Ideas to Revamp Your Under-Staircase Space (woodenitbeamazing.com)