If your daily life is marred with emotional imbalance, depression and anxiety, it might be time you tried something new to take control of your life. Ayurveda gives you many solutions to your problems, offering you a chance to live a happier life that is based on a more holistic approach.
Depression and anxiety have become an inseparable part of modern man’s life. Nowadays we live stress, we drink stress and we even sleep stress! Under such a condition, many people find it hard to maintain their composure, their capacity for handling sorrow, tragedy or hurts starts waning and they consequently enter in to an anxious or depressive state of mind.
Both anxiety and depression are psychological states that have physiological repercussions. Soaring anxiety or depression causes repercussions like excessive fatigue, muscle weakness, nausea, palpitations, headaches, sweating, tremors, shortness of breath, indigestion, stomach upset and so on. A person going through depression or anxiety may also experience interrupted sleep, have nightmares, experience feelings of dread, become irritated on the slightest pretext or start developing nervous habits like foot tapping or walking up and down out of restlessness.
Could Ayurveda, the Science of Life, be the answer?
An Ayurvedic perspective on Depression & Anxiety
Let us explore Ayurveda as a means to heal depression and anxiety. Ayurveda is a branch of traditional medicine. This system of healing originated in India and was considered by the ancient yogis and vaids as a miraculous means for treating any and every ailment on earth.
John Douillard, a famous professor of Ayurvedic medicine explains depression and anxiety in relation to the koshas or sheaths; i.e. the different layers of human consciousness surrounding the self. Here is a gist of what he has to say:
According to Ayurveda, our self resides in our heart, which is the seat for the blissful sheath or Anandamaya Kosha. Another kosha that governs us strongly is our mind, which is the seat for the Manomaya Kosha. When we are hurt, suffer from a shock or a sorrowful incident turns our life upside down, we at once use our mind to construct a protective barrier around ourselves. In some cases this barrier causes one to lose access to the essential ‘self’ and the result is depression and anxiety. In such a situation, the flow of energy or Prana Shakti is also restricted and the person gradually loses interest in life.
Ayurveda: Could it be the right treatment for emotional imbalance, depression & anxiety?
Usually antidepressants are administered to a patient suffering from depression and anxiety but Ayurvedic medicines take a different approach. They aim at strengthening the nerves instead of suppressing them. Such medicines make use of holistic herbs, minerals and external therapy to correct the imbalances created amid the doshas. They take both the physical as well as mental plane in to consideration while doing so. Gradually the person moves towards his natural Prakriti (doshas in balanced state) and the Mansikrog (anxiety & depression) vanishes. Also, ayurvedic massages and other ayurvedic therapies can also bring relief from emotional imbalances.
Much depends on the willingness of the patient. He or she should abide by the guidance of the Ayurvedacharya (Ayurvedic teacher/healer) and make the necessary lifestyle changes.
Try these 8 Ayurvedic remedies to get rid of depression & anxiety:
If you don’t want to suffer from the side effects that conventional allopathic medicines used to treat depression and anxiety comes along with, these ayurvedic remedies are worth a try. What makes them a safer choice is that these come with no side effects, and when used in the right manner, can bring about holistic healing.
1. Ashwagandha or Withania Somnifera can very effectively solve problems like maniac depression, anxiety disorders, mood phobias etc. Nowadays ashwagandha capsules are available even at drug stores. Take 4 capsules per day for best results.
2. Brahmi or Bacopa monnieri is a nervine tonic that enhances mental ability. It is high in anti-anxiety agents that calm and soothe the mind.
3. The relaxing aroma and refreshing taste of Cardamom calms down raging emotions and a depression struck mind. A cup of cardamom tea has a great healing effect when the mind is restless.
4. Jatamanshi eliminates depressive and negative thoughts. It channelizes the mind’s energy towards positivism and calms the mind.
5. Guggulu or Commiphora Wightii contains a special mind calming chemical called guggulsterones. This chemical can effectively cure depression.
6. Turmeric or Curcuma Longa can treat mild depression that is usually brought about by seasonal changes. For many people, monsoons bring about a dullness, while others find that a state of depression sets in during the cold chilly winters. Try this simple herb to see some fantastic changes.
7. A combination of 1/8th teaspoon of Nutmeg powder and amla or Indian gooseberry juice can heighten spirits, helping one deal with a tiring or challenging day. For those who find that their anxiety is brought about by work related stress, could be for a particular project or about an upcoming event, this remedy will work wonders.
8. Rose petals immersed in lukewarm water can be an effective mood enlivening tonic. This can also be the perfect ‘perk-me-up’ drink for the days you just cannot seem to find your mojo!
Little changes that can make a big difference:
If you are suffering from depression or anxiety disorders, Ayurveda has many remedies for you. However, make sure that you also follow these simple Dos and Don’ts to help alleviate your emotional problems further:
#1: Exercise regularly. Just a simple brisk walk can do wonders to fight depression.
#2: Expose yourself to bright sunlight; the rays of the sun promote Prana or Life’s force in your system.
#3: Meditate or listen to soft music to calm your mind.
#4: Avoid alcohol, sugary foods and limit your caffeine intake.
#5: Take a long hot bath when you find yourself stressed. Immersing yourself in hot water will promote healing by relaxing your muscles and soothing your nerves
#6: Avoid consuming stimulants or processed food and refrain from consuming excessive calories.
#7: Try massages; they help promote better blood circulation and the soothing scents and aromas of natural oils also bring relief from emotional imbalances.
#8: Make sure you are not constipated as this can cause headache, dullness, fatigue and depression. To regularize your motions, drink 2-4 glasses of lukewarm water as soon as you wake up.
Ayurveda has a lot to offer to people suffering from occasional emotional imbalance, or severe anxiety and depression. Use these practical guidelines to find a better way to stay happy, healthy and stress free.
- Ayurveda – the art of self care (nilayoram.wordpress.com)
- Ayurveda – A Complete Science of Life (woodenitbeamazing.com)
- Increasing Demand for Ayurveda- Medicines & Treatments with 100% Results and No Side effects (shinoykaladharan.wordpress.com)