Vinegar has been used traditionally to cure many ailments. From curing the flu to treating stomach infections, apple cider vinegar has found a way to be valued for the many healthy benefits if offers. But that is not all; today research has proved that Apple Cider Vinegar can help you lose more weight in 3 ways:
- Controls blood sugar levels
- Works as an appetite suppressant
- Prevents accumulation of fat because of its impact on insulin secretion
These benefits of apple cider vinegar have been scientifically proven and also published in European Journal of Clinical Nutrition in their 2005 edition.
Let’s take a look at why Apple cider vinegar can actually be called a secret potion for losing weight; it truly has some miraculous effects on our body’s constitution to promote weight loss.
Apple Cider Vinegar as an Appetite Suppressant –
Many participants were tested to prove that vinegar works as an appetite suppressant. Different groups were given different amounts of vinegar to be eaten with bread. It was noticed that those who ate larger amounts of vinegar fell full faster and even had lower blood glucose levels. This clearly proved that vinegar can reduce your appetite and keep your glucose levels stabilized – which also means no food cravings. However, eating raw vinegar with plain bread may not be your favorite dish! So you can either sip it, mixed with water or try a vinegar pill that works in the same way. You can also have vinegar dressing for your salad before meals. However, make sure that you brush your teeth after eating vinegar, as it can be especially hard on the teeth enamel.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Controlling Sugar Levels –
In 2007, a study that was done for ‘Diabetes Care’ followed 11 participants who tried to control their sugar levels without using insulin injections. It was noticed that those individuals who drank 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar every night for 3 consecutive nights showed a remarkable improvement in their blood sugar levels. While you may not be Diabetic or even Pre-diabetic, changing sugar levels in the body have a deep connection with our weight. How? It is quite simple really – as your blood sugar levels fall (which usually happens if you eat simple carbs or sugars which release energy too fast) you get a craving to eat more food – usually more carbs. These falling sugar levels result in binge eating. Now, when apple cider vinegar maintains these sugar levels, you don’t feel the need to indulge in unhealthy snacking and find it easier to stick to your diet.
Apple Cider Vinegar helps to cut down Fat in the body –
Since apple cider vinegar affects insulin levels, it goes without saying that it also interferes with fat accumulation in cells. Vinegar burns off excess fat, making it almost impossible for the body to store fats. Studies reveal that vinegar also increases the level of good cholesterol in the body and reduces the levels of bad cholesterol. It also reduces liver lipids and a study conducted in 2009 in Pakistan revealed that it effectively reduces fat accumulation.
How to take Apple Cider Vinegar?
– The easiest way is to take a vinegar pill, which works in the same way, but doesn’t burn your throat or make you gag with the bad taste! In fact, doctors feel this is the best way to ingest apple cider vinegar because drinking vinegar can irritate the throat over a long period of time.
– You can add vinegar to your salad dressing and always eat a salad before the main meal.
– You can dip bread in vinegar and munch on it
The 5 ways that Apple Cider Vinegar will help you lose weight:
We have seen above that studies prove apple cider vinegar works in many ways to benefit not just your overall health, but also help decrease your waistline. Let us take a deeper look in to how exactly Apple Cider Vinegar will help you lose weight, making this bad tasting liquid your best friend for weight loss and totally worth it!
1. It reduces appetite – Apple Cider Vinegar has a natural compound in it called pectin. When taken before a meal with water, this natural fiber goes in to the stomach and expands, which is the reason behind the appetite suppressant properties of vinegar. Not to mention, it taste is so unpleasant that it kills all kinds of cravings!
2. It helps get rid of water weight – If you have noticed that you always weight noticeably more in the evening as compared to the morning, and your weight fluctuates a lot, you are suffering from water retention or what we all normally call ‘water weight’. It is the water content in your body that is adding to your weight woes – and the biggest culprit contributing to water weight is sodium. Vinegar is rich in potassium, which when goes in the body, flushes out all sodium. This leads to release of water, and reduction in weight.
3. It improves metabolism – Metabolism is nothing but the rate at which our bodies utilize calories from the food we eat and converts it in to energy to perform all bodily functions, saving the extra calories as fat. Apple cider vinegar owes it better metabolism promoting properties to its acetic acid content. Acetic acid promotes iron absorption in the body, which results in higher utilization of oxygen and higher number of calories burned as it raises the body’s natural metabolic rate. Higher metabolism means burning more calories faster, which means weight loss.
4. It relieves the body of stress – Many of us are emotional eater, which means that we over indulge in food when we feel stressed or unhappy. Apple cider vinegar releases a special amino acid called Tryptophan that when processed by the body, releases serotonin. This serotonin is a natural tranquilizer and neurotransmitter, which means it relieves the body of stress and promotes a feeling of well being. This reduces chances of binge eating caused by emotional
5. It removes fats from the body – Apple Cider Vinegar has a unique effect on fats, which are the most calorie dense macronutrient which form a part of our diet. These fats pack 3 times more calorie per gram as compared to proteins and carbohydrate. But apple cider vinegar plays an important role to cut down fats in the body, as it reduces the transit time in the stomach for these fats. It does this because it improves our digestive system, which means fats don’t stay in the digestive track long enough to get absorbed.
Keeping in mind that scientists across the world have proven the benefits of vinegar for weight loss and that vinegar actually helps in 5 or more ways to cut down fats and lose weight, one can safely assume that Apple cider Vinegar can definitely help people lose weight faster.
- Consumption of apple cider vinegar may accelerate weight loss (talesfromthelou.wordpress.com)
- 12 Awesome Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar (livingwellatccl.wordpress.com)