Even if you lead a healthy lifestyle where you take care of your diet and exercise regularly, there are times when your metabolism starts to feel sluggish and you seem to have rather too many digestive problems. So, what is going on? There is no need to be alarmed; your hectic lifestyle has posed undue stress on your liver and all you really need is a body cleanse to remove all toxins and impurities from the body by going on a simple yet effective detox diet.
Detox diets have been practiced for ages and are a core principal in Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine. A detox body cleanse is nothing but a process where the body gets a chance o eliminate all impurities and toxins within through a cleansing diet, while at the same time supplying the body with healthy nutrients.
Why Is It Important To Cleanse Your Body?
Our bodies naturally remove toxins and filter out impurities. This is the task executed by the liver mainly, but also by kidneys, lungs, intestines and even the skin to quite an extent.
However, the body is often subjected to excessive exposure to toxins in a variety of ways we don’t even realize. We inhale toxins, we swallow them along with our food and even water, and our skin absorbs them when we are exposed to free radicals and atmospheric pollution. We even produce toxins within the body through ineffective digestion and sometimes even by eating the wrong kind of foods that produce too many harmful by-products which our body cannot eliminate effectively. As a result, the body’s defense system is compromised and the toxins aren’t filtered out efficiently, and that is why we start seeing adverse reactions.
The right detox program will counter this problem by enhancing the natural cleansing process in the body by
– Fasting and refraining from solid foods gives organs a much needed rest
– The liver is stimulated to eliminate all the existing toxins within the body, as it isn’t busy trying to tackle additional toxins entering the body through food
– Encouraging the skin, kidneys and intestines to also efficiently remove all toxins
– Blood circulation is improved
– The body is refueled with healthy nutrients so that all detoxifying organs can work more effectively
5 Signs It Is Time To Go On A Detox Diet
While it is recommended to do a detoxification diet every year, sometimes your body will send you desperate signals that it being overworked and needs a detox diet right away. If you notice the below mentioned signs, it is best you try a simple and gentle body cleansing diet right away.
- Fatigue and tiredness that cannot be explained
- Sluggish metabolism
- Bloating and menstrual problems
- Allergies and irritated skin
- Disorientation and confusion
The Best Detox Diet To Cleanse Your Body
There are many detox diets available to you. With a plethora of detox recipes and programs to choose from, your first concern should be choosing a diet that best addresses your specific needs. There are 7 day programs, 5 day programs, and the most popular 3 day programs that effectively detoxify your body and eliminate all toxins.
Before you start a detox program, you need to eliminate any known source of toxins. Give up on alcohol, caffeine, refined sugars, cigarettes and saturated fats. Also, you need to find a way to eliminate stress as this can hinder with your body’s healing process. Stress results in the body releasing more stress hormones; and while these can come in very handy in a panic situation, these also reduce the effective functioning of the detoxification enzymes within the liver. During your detox program, it is very important to control the amount of stress in your life. Try yoga and meditation.
There are several popular detox programs that you can choose from as well. The top 6 detox diets are:
1. Cabbage Soup Diet
2. Fruit and Veggie Diet
3. Sugar Detox
4. Smoothie Cleanse
5. Master Cleanse Diet
6. Hypoallergenic Detox
To find out more about popular detox programs, read this elaborate article on Liver Detox Diets.
You can follow any of these diet programs for a few days, and then try these simple tips to daily cleanse your body by adopting healthier lifestyle practices. These simple tricks detoxify your body every day, and help you feel more alert, active and healthy.
1. Drink a lot of water throughout the day. Rather than swallowing 2-3 glasses at a time to ensure you drink 8-10 glasses a day, it is better to drink a glass every couple of hours to space out your water intake.
2. Add more fiber to your diet by eating more vegetables and fruits. Some great detoxifying veggies are broccoli, artichokes, cabbage, beets, seaweed and radishes.
3. Drink green tea as it is fortified with powerful antioxidants that give a boost to your natural detoxification system. Also, herbal teas with milk thistle and dandelion root stimulate the liver and keep it healthy.
4. Exercise everyday as this ensures enhanced blood circulation through the body and also encourages effective purging of toxins from the skin through sweating.
5. Eat probiotics regularly. These help to further break down the chemicals in foods we ingest, and that makes it a lot easier for the body to eliminate toxins that it would have otherwise not been able to process as a whole.
6. Add spices for flavor and also to encourage the body’s natural detox abilities. Spices can stimulate pathways within our body that aid in detoxification and also improve metabolism.
Considering the fact that today we are exposed to so many toxins every day through air, food and water, think of a detox diet as a necessity. It keeps sickness at bay by enhancing your body’s ability to eliminate all toxins and fight against diseases. Experts recommend that the best time to go on a detox diet is during summer and spring time.
Gentle 2 to 3 day detox diets are powerful enough to boost your body’s functioning and are usually the best for beginners. However, if you want to try a detoxification diet to counter an illness or lose weight, 5 to 7 day detox diets could be the answer.