Stretch marks are unsightly skin imperfections that could be the result of pregnancy, rapid weight gain, or faster growth during puberty. As the skin expands rapidly, its elastic tissue tears and the red scars turn in to white or purple lines, most commonly appearing on the breasts, abdomen, thighs, buttocks and arms.
Most women (and men too!) who are susceptible to stretch marks want to find a simple solution to get rid of these imperfections marring their skin, and stretch mark preventing creams seem like the most obvious choice. Many of these creams boost collagen production, help regenerate skin cells, and increase skin elasticity to promote skin renewal.
So, what ingredients should you look for in best cream to prevent stretch marks?
First things first, the best stretch mark cream will contain active ingredients that strengthen the skin texture and enhance skin elasticity. Removing stretch marks once they appear is very difficult, which is why stretch mark preventing creams should be used timely. Choose creams that contain natural proteins, minerals, vitamins, botanical extracts and antioxidants. However, creams with parabens and petroleum aren’t the best choice, since the ingredients get absorbed in to the skin and can cause unwanted side effects.
Choose a cream that contains ingredients like:
1. Aloe Vera Extract – Deeply nourishing and soothing, aloe extract can hydrate skin and heal the scar tissue to prevent stretch marks from appearing. It helps regenerate healthy skin cells while tightening the skin at the same time.
2. Vitamin A– It helps to promote skin elasticity and improves skin texture as well as skin tone because it boosts skin regeneration.
3. Vitamin E – A powerful antioxidant, Vitamin E helps keep the skin hydrated and moisturized to keep it nourished. As a result, skin becomes smoother and softer, while it also makes skin naturally healthier so that it can repair itself over time.
4. Grapefruit Seed Extract – A natural antibiotic, this simple ingredient prevents skin damage. It restores damaged elastin and collagen, re-textures and conditions the skin, and stimulates connective tissue production so that skin tissues do not tear and expand with rapid weight gain. Its healing properties allow the skin to stretch naturally to accommodate weight gain during pregnancy, and also help with skin contracting later on so that your skin can regain its former texture.
5. Pro-Vitamin B5 – It aids skin renewal process and is commonly found in stretch mark preventing creams by the name of DL-Penthenol. It rapidly regenerates healthy skin cells to replace old scar tissue, hence preventing stretch marks from forming.
6. Calendula Oil – An ingredient commonly found in skincare products, this naturally found oil conditions and soothes the skin. It’s especially beneficial for those with sensitive skin.
7. Lavender Oil – It tightens the skin and improves elasticity, while also clarifying the skin to get rid of scars.
8. Vegetable Glycerin – A natural emollient, glycerin can soothe and soften skin so that it stays hydrated and healthy. Dry skin is more susceptible to stretch marks, which is why keeping the skin hydrated helps it to maintain its elasticity.
If you are a mommy-to-be and looking to find a cream that prevents pregnancy stretch marks, the above ingredients will truly help you out. I highly recommend you steer clear of any creams that contain harsh chemicals, as often the remnants of these chemicals can get absorbed by the skin and could prove to be hazardous to your baby. Always talk to your Gynaecologist before you pick up an over-the-counter stretch marks removal cream.
You may also like reading: What To Expect When You Are Expecting